Here you will find our frequently asked questions (FAQs) about NEAT membership for Birth to Three provider agencies. If you have a question about our services that is not covered here or elsewhere on our site, please visit our contact page to learn how to get in contact with us.
The Birth to Three System has a contract with New England Assistive Technology (NEAT) and pays the membership fee, $500 per agency, for every Birth to Three provider agency in the state of CT.
In an effort to best meet your needs, we are taking a team approach. All you need to do is reach via email to: NEAT.B23@oakhillct.org, or call at 860-243-2869 and we will be sure to match your particular need or inquiry with the right person - so you may meet one of many people on our team! This includes:
- Adaptive Equipment Reuse staff: Our NEAT Service Engagement Coordinator, Customer Service Representative and Adaptive Equipment Technicians work hard to make sure that customer needs are met to the best of our ability and in a timely manner.
- Assistive Technology Services Staff: This group of professionals have decades of combined experience working with assistive technology, with their certifications and areas of expertise including learning disabilities, digital accessibility, Speech Language Pathology, RESNA, Assistive Technology Applications Certificate Program (ATACP), blind/low vision, autism supports, AAC, etc. This team is overseen by the Director of Assistive Technology Services who is a certified Special Education teacher with a Master’s degree in assistive technology.
We are working on an online database so that you can browse our inventory anytime. Until that is available, we encourage you to contact us and inquire about our inventories before you make the trip to NEAT. We can be reached via email to: NEAT.B23@oakhillct.org, or call at 860-243-2869.
- Our Adaptive Equipment Reuse hours are detailed on our Equipment Center page. When the Equipment Center is open, you may have a NEAT ERC staff member show you the Birth to Three equipment inventory designated for your use. While you’re here, please shop around! We have lots of refurbished adaptive equipment and durable medical equipment for rent or sale.
- Our Lending Library inventory, which includes short term loans of switches, toys, tablets with apps, communication devices, etc., is not open to the public and you must make an appointment with the team. We’d love to meet with you, so please make an appointment today!
- Adaptive equipment includes durable medical equipment such as walkers, sitters, standers, adaptive strollers/wheelchairs, etc. that is part of the CT Birth to Three equipment inventory that is stored, cleaned, repaired, managed and maintained by The NEAT Center at Oak Hill. There are designated racks in the basement of the NEAT building where you can browse the available equipment. This equipment is maintained by our Adaptive Equipment Technicians who can provide guidance and expertise on the appropriateness of the equipment for the child. There are specific forms for Birth to Three providers that must be completed when borrowing this equipment. This procedure is outlined in the Assistive Technology Procedure on the CT Birth to Three Website.
- Assistive Technology is defined as any item, piece of equipment or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of children with disabilities. NEAT has a library of devices including (but not limited to) iPads and tablets, communication devices, adapted toys, capability switches, etc. and are maintained by our Assistive Technology Services team at NEAT. Access to this library is for those who participate in our services or who are members. It is not available to the public.
New England Assistive Technology. We are an Oak Hill Center, comprised of Assistive Technology Services, Adaptive Equipment Services, and Blindness Supports. Oak Hill sets the standard, partnering with people with disabilities, to provide services and solutions promoting independence, education, health and dignity.
All current Birth to Three provider agencies are automatically enrolled in NEAT Membership at the start of the fiscal year each July. If you have found that there has been some error and you are not listed as a member, but should be, please contact us at NEAT.B23@oakhillct.org, or 860-243-2869.
This is a great question! The answer is both “yes” and “no”. Let us explain:
- Yes! Your entire agency can reap the benefits of a NEAT membership as long as they are not using a Birth to Three contracted benefit for non-Birth to Three children. For example: discounts on workshops, attending our “Member ATventures” and borrowing a device from our Lending Library is fair game!
- Your entire agency cannot utilize Birth to Three contracted benefits for non-Birth to Three children.
If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact us at NEAT.B23@oakhillct.org, or 860-243-2869.