Join us for a special professional development opportunity designed just for you and members of the NEAT subscription. This OCTOBER provides 6 separate dates of regional workshops throughout the state of CT.
“Packing a Punch with AT: Getting the most out of your AT resources and supports!”
More details can be found below, under the Quality Assurance tab.
These PDs are sponsored by The Department of Education.
For the 2019-20 school year, The Bureau of Special Education (SDE) has provided LEAs identified in Cohort C with a one-year subscription to New England Assistive Technology (NEAT). The NEAT Center at Oak Hill provides assistive technology resources, services and adaptive equipment to individuals of all ages and abilities.
A comprehensive overview of this exciting subscription may be found below:
The State Department of Education chose to implement this subscription service in three parts over three years, starting with all districts in Cohort C for school year 2019-2020. Cohort B and Cohort A will receive the same subscription in school years, 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 respectively.
The following districts are subscription members from Cohort C, active from 2019-2020:
Regional School District 1
Regional School District 11
Regional School District 19
Regional School District 6
Regional School District 9
LEAs in Cohort C can request one standard, comprehensive AT evaluation from the NEAT Center. This is a formal, multi-step process that is led by an AT specialist and results in a set of technology recommendations and/or strategies that are thought to meet the needs of a student with disabilities. Evaluations are completely individualized; includes a review of records, individual history, learning modalities, personal preferences, and a pattern of strengths and concerns; utilizes a team approach; includes environmental observations and trials with various technology supports; provide comprehensive, recommendations on appropriate technology supports for targeted skill sets, as well as, implementation strategies for meaningful access and participation. A formal, written report is included, and the NEAT AT Specialist can be available, by phone or video conference, to report the evaluation findings at a team meeting or PPT.
LEAs in Cohort C can request one 2-hour AT consultation from the NEAT Center. This is a semi-formal meeting between AT specialists, educators, families, and/or individuals with disabilities and result in a set of suggested tools and/or strategies. It can also be used to learn more about how to effectively use available technologies or as technical support and troubleshooting for current technology. A written summary is not included but can be requested for an additional fee.
Packing a Punch with AT: Getting the most out of your AT resources and supports!
These PD opportunities will be geared specifically towards the needs of school-based teams regarding fidelity in assistive technology (AT) supports and will provide new information about best practice for these services. We will also cover the latest trends in AT and how they can be implemented throughout classrooms as well as during important transitional stages. This includes a wide variety of AT supports (iOS, Chromebook, etc.). Spend the day with AT Specialists from NEAT and discuss your students’ needs.
- The content will be the same at each session. You can travel to any one of those 6.
- Bring a team of people.
Dates and Locations:
- October 3, 2019 in Hartford, CT
- October 9, 2019 in Hebron, CT
- October 10, 2019 in Vernon, CT
- October 21, 2019 in Waterbury, CT
- October 22, 2019 in Bridgeport, CT
- October 31, 2019 in Meriden, CT
LEAs in Cohort C will automatically receive a NEAT membership as part of their subscription. As a NEAT member, you are eligible for the following assistive technology supports:
- Professional Development: NEAT’s Member ATventures provides 9+ hours of professional development delivered annually on the hottest trends and latest tools in early education, education, AAC, AT, technology and smart home solutions. These 1-hour sessions are conducted through webinar and in-person networking events.
- Exclusive Online Resources: A bank of AT and AAC resources, flyers and short, training videos are provided to NEAT members with a private link. Our training videos can help you learn and develop your AT skills in short, personalized increments. These are a great way to learn more about AT recommendations provided in an AT evaluation or simply catch up on AT tools that your students are currently using.
- Discount on Services: As a NEAT member, you are eligible for discounts on services including but not limited to AT evaluations and training. Please visit our website for our menu of services, prices, and member discount rate information.
- Lending Library: The NEAT Lending Library provides short-term loans of assistive technology devices. Devices include (but are not limited to) laptops with specialized software; iPads with learning, productivity and communication apps; low vision magnifiers; adapted board games and toys; mid-tech communication devices as well as eye gaze; capability switches and access assessment toolkits; and so much more! Learn more about our Lending Library here!
As part of the SDE subscription, you gain access to NEAT's webinars. Below are the archives for these webinars.
If you have questions about The Bureau of Special Education (SDE) subscription, please see our SDE Subscription FAQ.
The NEAT Center is ready to work with each LEA in Cohort C so please reach out now.
Nicole Feeney, M.Ed.
Director of Assistive Technology Services
Your NEAT subscription has been generously sponsored by
The CT State Department of Education